Monday, March 23, 2009

In Memory


I am remebering my cousin Christopher Seifert today. He had died this day 6 years ago in the Iraq War.

He was one of the first LV soldier's to die in our area here. It was and still is very sad how he died. I mean he did die defending our country but not in the way most people think. He was killed by a gernade that was tossed into his tent while sleeping.

So my thoughts go out to the family and all friends that new and loved him and of course miss him.

I remember standing in line for his viewing out in the rain with Philip, who was only a month old. we had gotten taken in threw a special door so we could get in out of the rain since we had the baby with us. Just standing in that line made me feel sick to my stomach and once i got inside the church it felt worse. I remember standing there looking at his coffin and hearing the cries of his mother and his wife and the sad and lost look on his father's face as well.


The funeral was jsut as bad. the line of cars that followed to the cematary was so long. I never could of imagined that may cars going ot a funeral before. We were the last car in the recession line. It was a hot day that day and out car had no air conditioner so we had to put all the windows down.

standing there watching his cascet get lowered in the ground really brought the tears to me eyes and the 21 gun salute as well. It hit me that is really happening. It is all real.

It hit me then that I will never see Chris again anywhere. Just in old photographs that my grandmother has or ones from the school yearbooks that i come across.

I mean i never really hung out with him but we did ride to school in our early years. I would be standing at the bus stop and his grandmother would see me and stop and pick me up and take me with them to drop off at school. I also remember him in the band in high school. Seems so long ago. I was only on color guard for one year but i rememebr the times in the band room during study hall with a few friends ad he would be there as well. we would all laugh and joke around some days.

So today I remember Chris the soldier, father, husband, son, and friend. Rest in Piece Chris we miss and love you.



No comments: